ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Used Stuff for Sale.
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Used Stuff for Sale. Ok, Here at ScubaToys, we realize you want to buy new stuff from us. And in case you don't need 3 regulators, 4 computers, 9 sets of fins and 8 wetsuits , off load your old stuff here.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
mwhities
Founding Member
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 8
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
I'm in the market for used/old/not working regs. I'd prefer not to pay anything but shipping but, if it's worth it, I'll pay a little for a reg.

PM me or post here.

Michael
mwhities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
WaScubaDude
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
What do you use old regs for?
WaScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
awap
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
If you watch ebay for a while, you might get an idea of the value of used/old/not working regs. Even the worst seem to command a pretty good price.
awap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
Who would want to use an old reg. Those things will kill you.
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
awap
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea
Who would want to use an old reg. Those things will kill you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Would you like to explain how an older reg is any more likely to kill you than a newer reg. In other words, what are the design changes in newer regs that improve safety or reliability?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BTW, I retired most of my newer regs in favor of older more robust regulators from the 70's and 80"s. But I'm always willing to learn.</DIV>
awap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
frankc420
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
Send a message via ICQ to frankc420 Send a message via AIM to frankc420 Send a message via MSN to frankc420 Send a message via Yahoo to frankc420 Send a message via Skype™ to frankc420
I'm thinking a lot of people have that same mindset, that older regs are dangerous in some way, so they upgrade and the old ones sit in a closet rotting. I think mwhities understands that older regs are not dangerous as long as they are maintained just like new regs! I find that the older regs are much more simple myself, but I choose to dive with newer regs. The fact that so many people don't like old regs, I'm guessing he's wanting someone to 'give' him their old stuff just because it's getting no use... someone may bite and he might get a free reg setup out of it... others might just laugh at him
frankc420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
jhinds
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

mwhites,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Unfortunatly I don't have any old regs and I don't care which is better old vs. new... I'm just curious, what are you doing with them? </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You pulling a "Mcgiver" and building something with the spare parts or just to have them on display or what? May be none of my business but, I'm curious. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>have a good one!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>jason</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
jhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
mwhities
Founding Member
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 8
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Reefhound has it.

I just want to learn the internal workings of regs in general. See if I can get them to work and what not. I'm not planning on really using them, unless for whatever reason my *brand new* ScubaPro regs decide to fail on me.

Granted, if I could really afford it, I'd buy newer used regs and learn from them but, I'm not able to.

Laugh at me or help me, I careless either way. I just want to have the knowledge to help myself later with a reg or help someone else out.

Michael

Old 07-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by awap
<DIV>Would you like to explain how an older reg is any more likely to kill you than a newer reg. In other words, what are the design changes in newer regs that improve safety or reliability?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BTW, I retired most of my newer regs in favor of older more robust regulators from the 70's and 80"s. But I'm always willing to learn.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you look at my avitar, you'll notice I have a double hose regulator (In fact I have 6). I was just kidding. In fact I regularly dive vintage gear. And many of us vintage divershave heard it mentioned several times that using our older gear was dangerous. But nobody was ever able to give a real good reason.</DIV>
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

If you really want to learn about regulators, then by all means try to find some older regs...take them apart &amp; see what makes them tick. You might be surprised to find out that many older regs use many of the same parts as modern regs. The 1st stage diaphram in my vintage double hose is identical the the diaphram found in a modern USD Legend or Titan regulator.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You should also look at Peterbuilt's website for specific tools designed for scuba regulators. And be sure &amp; pickup Regulator Savvy to get a good understanding of scuba regulators.</DIV>

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Used Stuff for Sale.