ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Wreck Diving
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wreck Diving Are you an explorer of things that should be at the surface and now are at the bottom? This place is for you!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
Rascal1933
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyWombat View Post
The ship was originally a "Missile Range Test and Instrumentation" platform, which sounds innocent enough. Really what this meant was that it was a platform to monitor for a Soviet Union Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Attack during the cold war. I would guess that there was all kinds of top secret hardware and things going on in that ship at one time. USAF was responsible for monitoring for this type missile attack, hence the reason why this was an Air Force Ship. You won't see many USAFS's out there.

-BW
BobbyWombat thanks for the info!

Yeah... I was wondering how USAF ended up with the Vanderberg.

Here's a photo of a few of those Ears,that were part of the monitoring of Soviet Union.
Looks like the Vandenberg was very well equipped with all kinds of listening/monitoring toy's.

* Photo shows one of the dishes being removed,and taken off at the shipyard. They will be refitted on the ship as soon as all the work on the deck is complete.

Florida Reef Rescue:
http://reef-rescue.org/video/greenalgae-20070331.wmv
Rascal1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
cudachaser
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
My Photos: 1 Images
Oh that's BS...The ship was used to track manned spaceflights..Apollo, Mercury and Gemini. After the shuttle flights became operational, the TDRS satellites were launched from the shuttle . They took over as the communication platforms. I taught several of the Vandy's crew memberbers to dive in the early 80's
cudachaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Wreck Diving