ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Dry Suits
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dry Suits When neoprene is just not enough!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
skdvr
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 413
Dry Suit Course

Well I just finished up the class room and confined water portion of my dry suit class... I must say that I was quite happy with the instrucror. My class was supposed to be from 6:30pm to 10:30pm and we did not get out of there until just after midnight. Although the instructor did get off onto a few tangents about things he was a very knowledgeable scuba diver that was interesting to listen to. He is a Tech and Cave instructor and he went a lot into the differences in styles of diving and what PADI teaches in the course and how you can adapt those teachings into beter techniques. There was only 2 of us in the class and both has dreams of going to the Tech side someday so he geared it a little in that direction.

I did have small leak in my neck seal that hopefully we will have solved before the quarry dives this weekend. It was not bad with 85* water trickling down my back but 55* water will be a different story. I was diving a 6mm Bare dry suit and at the end of the dive I could not tell if I was completely soaked from what I thought was just a trickle here and there or if it was from sweat while we were doing everything in the pool and poolside.

All in all I had a good time. I am quite tired this mornign but it is fine with be when it is scuba diving that keept me up late.

Phil
skdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
mm_dm
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Was this your own suit or a rental?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
skdvr
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
It was a rental... They gave me some neoprene neck rings to use with it this weekend.

Phil
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
mm_dm
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
That should help. One thing I had to learn was to turn my shoulders along while I turned my neck to keep water from following that little groove as the muscles/tendons tense. If you're already doing that then you should be good to go. Hope the check out dives go well!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
skdvr
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Thanks for the tip I will pay more attention to it this weekend. I am not sure how I was turing my head but I certainly was not thinking about doing like that so I am sure that I was not.

Phil
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Also watch the wrist seals if you have small wrists. Mine don't leak unless I start doing something with my hands and the tendons pop out. It usually isn't a big leak but it happens. Just pull them up your arm a bit.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
georoc01
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My thing was that they had use do all of the dives with the outtake valve wide open. And occasionally I would get my left shoulder raised and dump the air out of the suit without my realizing what was going on.
georoc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
texdiveguy
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 91
Smile

Phil.... curious for your reasons for taking the instruction (**I am a believer in continuing ed for specf. purposes)....are you purchasing a dry suit to dive soon....seeing were you live it would be comfy...?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Some like to take the class and it isn't a bad idea. Personally I didn't. I dove with a friend that had dove a dry suit for many years and he ran me through it.
Some will teach you to use the drysuit instead of your BC. Didn't work for but I use the theory of..if it isn't broken then don't fix it. My BC wasn't broken.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
skdvr
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
Phil.... curious for your reasons for taking the instruction (**I am a believer in continuing ed for specf. purposes)....are you purchasing a dry suit to dive soon....seeing were you live it would be comfy...?
Well I would like to have a dry suit already but that probably will not happen until next year (hopefully). I wanted to take the class so that I could rent a drysuit if I wanted to dive one. The water is cold enough here to dive one year round, plus I would like to be able to dive more this winter when the air temp is cold. I work a lot of weekends which limits my diving but in the winter I am not working as much, so that is a godo time for me to be in the water. It will just be much more comfy in a dry suit in the 50* waters. It may be quite warm on the surface in the summertime but I think I could take that trade off...

Phil

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Dry Suits