ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Underwater Photo > Gear Information
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gear Information What camera, strobe, housing, etc

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
FishFood
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 1
Sealife DC600 Pro Kit?

Im looking at ScubaToy's DC600 "Kit", which comes with the Reefmaster DC600 and the strobe for just under $700. Seems like a good price. A dive buddy just sank $3k into his setup and I wasnt really impressed with it. It doesn't seem to be any better than DC600 examples Ive seen.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera, or can give me an alternative for around the same price?

Thanks yall.
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
dbh
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
My Photos: 7 Images
I would look at the Olympus SP350 (~ $225), an Olympus PT-030 housing (~ $200) and either an Inon D2000 strobe (~ $450) or a Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe (~ $400). With this setup, you will get 2 more MP, full manual control and the ability to shoot RAW. The extra $100 - $150 will be very well spent. The 2 strobes that I referenced will give you wider angle of coverage, faster recycle time and more flashes per set of batteries.

HTH,
Dave

Nikon D200, Subal, (2) Inon Z240
http://reefphoto.com
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
FishFood
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Ehh, that would put me over my limit. $700 was my ceiling. Thanks though.

Oh, and, whats the purpose of being able to shoot raw?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
SHAGGY
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
Ehh, that would put me over my limit. $700 was my ceiling. Thanks though.

I have the DC600 camera and its a really nice and simple to use camera that provides good quality pics. I only wish I had purchased that Pro kit at the time. Im now gonna order the strobe and 3x macro for my upcomming cozumel trip.
SHAGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Wrayne
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
With the RAW file format you can use your software later to adjust exposure compensation, white balance, contrast, color saturation, tone, etc. You will have more control over post-processing your photos.

If you like this aspect of photography, editing your photos and fussing around with all the settings, then it's a very handy feature. I have a lot of fun with it. But you don't really need it, you can still get great pictures with just the .jpg format.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
ScubaToys Larry
Grand Poobah
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
What Wrane is saying here is correct... but then again, Wrane is an extremely talented graphic artist. For shlups like me... Just playing with a little photoshop and a jpg file works fine. Let me give you an example here.

I just grabbed a picture out of our customers photo gallery... here's a grouper:

Now if I just cut and paste that into photo shop, and instead of doing a lot of fancy manipulations I don't understand... there is a button that says Auto Adjust - where it resets the color as it thinks it should be. And I get this from the same picture with one click:

For what I do... that camera - and simple editing is good enough! I'm sure someone who really knows how to do the other stuff can do a lot better... but I'm a simple person! That is just one click - no tweaking, no air brush, no coloring... just click auto levels.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
lucidblue
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I've just started to do some research on cameras. I can't decide whether to get a housing and strobe for my Canon SD600 or go with something like the Sealife kit listed above. Any more opinions on this. Has anyone used the SD600 underwater and do you have some photos you can share?

-
Jacques Yves Cousteau, 1971
lucidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Jaymeany
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 6 Images
I'd really like to see dc600 pics.especially amateur ones. I don't care if its just the tail. i just want to see quality of pics. thanks
Jaymeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
cjslandman
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given

Here should be a couple of pics from my DC600... I was very happy with the pic quality and as these were taken on my first blue water dive I dont thing it was too bad...

I am using Photoshop to tweak them. While I would NEVER disagree with Larry The guru I would have to say his comment about just hitting the Auto Adjust is a bit misleading from my experience. You can see the various colors in his untouched photo while in mine you can only see one shade... There is a great post which I printed out and cant find now which has about five steps to make the photos look great...

Also Larry has some tips on shotting the most important of which I have found is that you need a flash and if you cant reach out and touch it, you are probably too far away.

The only thing I dont like about the 600 is that it sucks the life out of batteries. Buy at least one battery for each tank dive you intend to do each day. You can change during SI.

I am looking forward to getting better with mine on each dive.

Charlie
cjslandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
FishFood
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymeany View Post
I'd really like to see dc600 pics.especially amateur ones. I don't care if its just the tail. i just want to see quality of pics. thanks
Most of the shots at this link are with the DC600 and Strobe. The really poor quality shots are with a cheapo 35mm.

http://divingnutz.com/standrewsgallery.asp

DIVING NUTZ

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Underwater Photo > Gear Information