ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Tanks
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tanks You're welcome... er.. no. Scuba Tanks - aluminum, steel, big, small, pony bottles, doubles, etc.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
DDGator
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I have done all my diving (not much) with AL80s.
<DIV></DIV>Can someone tell me (or point me to a link) that describes all the pros and cons of steel v. aluminum tanks?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance.</DIV>

OW Certified in June 2007!
Clearwater, Florida
DDGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
DDGator
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Thanks -- just what I was looking for... and quick too!

OW Certified in June 2007!
Clearwater, Florida
DDGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
AB Diver
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Own two steel 120's and four steel 100's (two set for Nitrox).
<DIV></DIV>Feel this is the only way to go.
AB Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
jpsexton
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I know this is not very popular with some more experienced divers but I actually prefer the AL80. I have a decent SAC rate and after an hour dive I'm always back on the boat with 1000 psi or so. They are plentiful and cheap. And whether I'm on a charter in some far away land or in the quarry in my back yard I'm always diving the same configuration. It's a personal decision, ask yourself what you need from a tank and then decide.

\"Education is what you get from reading the fine print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.\"

jpsexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
frankc420
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
Send a message via ICQ to frankc420 Send a message via AIM to frankc420 Send a message via MSN to frankc420 Send a message via Yahoo to frankc420 Send a message via Skype™ to frankc420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefHound
Who needs Scubaboard when we have you! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
frankc420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
medic001918
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Send a message via AIM to medic001918 Send a message via Yahoo to medic001918
Looks like someone already pointed out a link for you. But the answer to what's best for you depends on your diving. Do you dive in cold water with a thick wetsuit? A drysuit? Then you might want the added weight that a steel tank offers. Plus, generally you can get more air in a smaller configuration.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Mrs. and I only dive steel tanks unless we're traveling somewhere. Then we rent, and I'll rent steel if possible since it's what I'm used to.</DIV>
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>
medic001918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
wxboy911
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
So far all of my diving has been with AL 80's-I like the idea of the larger carrying capacity of steel tanks but if my buddy stays with the Al 80 I guess I will have to come up when they do.
wxboy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Yes, but if you're like me with a similar SCR then you might be able to get 2 dives out of one tank to their one. So 2 tanks will get me 4 dives, that's also including rock bottom calc's by the way.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yes, my buddy sucks air like you can't believe, still works for me though.</DIV>
cummings66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
frankc420
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
Send a message via ICQ to frankc420 Send a message via AIM to frankc420 Send a message via MSN to frankc420 Send a message via Yahoo to frankc420 Send a message via Skype™ to frankc420

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66
Yes, but if you're like me with a similar SCR then you might be able to get 2 dives out of one tank to their one. So 2 tanks will get me 4 dives, that's also including rock bottom calc's by the way.
<div></div>
<div>Yes, my buddy sucks air like you can't believe, still works for me though.</div>
This is the exact reason I went with a steel HP130. After diving the Oriskany and seeing the divemaster doing all his dives with 1 HP120, I knew any new tank I got would be a big steel. I haven't been able to test my theory yet because I live so far away from the water, but one day!
frankc420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
RECDiver
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
What I like about my PST HP steel 80s is they are small and neither my wife nor I need a any weight for diving fresh water. I use my HP steel 100s for diving in the winter to offset some of the weight with the drysuit.
<DIV></DIV>The only problem I have had is when I VIPed my four steels this summer, three of them had some rust in them, so I had to brush them out. I am not sure how that happened, but I may VIP them again in 6 months to make sure the rust has not returned.

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Tanks