ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIR & Tec Gear Techie stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo8243 View Post
I think DIR hates scooters.
Huh??
At least on scubaboard they were all preaching the evil of scooters. There's a lot of DIR people on scubaboard. Maybe I shouldn't have made the leap to DIR != scooters.
jo8243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdvr View Post
I have neverd used a scooter but here is a link to someone reviewing a seadoo scooter (there are several different models) and here is another thread talking about scooters, mainly the seadoo I think...
Phil
I have the one the guy reviewed and I like it. I've had it 3 years and have taken it on about 30-40 dives over that time probably. No problems. I think you can get them for around $500 now.

Last edited by jo8243 : 09-19-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
MANTAMAN5093
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
i had a (tekna) for years, i dont think they make them anymore, and i have an oceanic now..very good...but pricey....
MANTAMAN5093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think DIR hates scooters.
Huh??
At least on scubaboard they were all preaching the evil of scooters. There's a lot of DIR people on scubaboard. Maybe I shouldn't have made the leap to DIR != scooters.
Trying to get an accurate representation of what is and is not common DIR practice from that place is incredibly difficult. I know I get confused when I read stuff there. There are a couple of pro-DIR people who post with authority and yet when you get to know them, you realize that they have never even taken a class. There are also anti-DIR people who post with authority. But people who have a reasonable idea of what it is can easily spot the misconceptions. One example I will give.. one guy continually portrays doubles as mandatory for DIR divers. Even on 30ft reef dives. It's the most ridiculous thing but he keeps posting that as if it were true.

Anyway, long story short, try and take what your read from that other place with a grain of salt.

With regards to scooter diving, here is my personal take on it... It is easy to pull out the credit card and buy a scooter. It is something entirely different to use a scooter safely. There are lots of things to consider. As an example, people who use hogarthian gear configurations will attach scooters like the X or the Gavin to their crotchstrap D-ring. This means that the scooter is physically attached to the diver. If trigger sticks on, you will be attached to a runaway scooter. Another example, how far should you take that scooter out? What are the factors that determine that? Battery burn time? Does your buddy have a scooter with matching burn times?

So it is not just one of those things where you strap it on and go. There actually needs to be some thought put into it before you start using it. You can see where some of the scooter divers (DIR or otherwise) would be covering a lot of the finer points in a spirited discussions.
kobalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Quote:

Trying to get an accurate representation of what is and is not common DIR practice from that place is incredibly difficult. I know I get confused when I read stuff there. There are a couple of pro-DIR people who post with authority and yet when you get to know them, you realize that they have never even taken a class. There are also anti-DIR people who post with authority. But people who have a reasonable idea of what it is can easily spot the misconceptions. One example I will give.. one guy continually portrays doubles as mandatory for DIR divers. Even on 30ft reef dives. It's the most ridiculous thing but he keeps posting that as if it were true.

Anyway, long story short, try and take what your read from that other place with a grain of salt.
Yes, I've noticed that. I try to stay away from that other place for the most part nowdays......

Quote:
With regards to scooter diving, here is my personal take on it... It is easy to pull out the credit card and buy a scooter. It is something entirely different to use a scooter safely. There are lots of things to consider. As an example, people who use hogarthian gear configurations will attach scooters like the X or the Gavin to their crotchstrap D-ring. This means that the scooter is physically attached to the diver. If trigger sticks on, you will be attached to a runaway scooter. Another example, how far should you take that scooter out? What are the factors that determine that? Battery burn time? Does your buddy have a scooter with matching burn times?

So it is not just one of those things where you strap it on and go. There actually needs to be some thought put into it before you start using it. You can see where some of the scooter divers (DIR or otherwise) would be covering a lot of the finer points in a spirited discussions.

I have my seadoo scooter (vs supercharged) attached to my BC via a retractor. It only pulls you along at a couple of kts or so, so if it were to get stuck on it would be no big deal to unclip and let it go..... but I can't see ever having to do that. I'd just ride it back to shore or to the boat. I have a computer attached so I can see my depth and stay safe.

Mine is also small enough and light enough that if the battery dies it is no big deal to tow it. In fact I tow it all the time in the course of a normal dive. I don't hardly notice it.

I suppose with the higher-powered scooters there are more safety concerns, but not as much as some of the DIR people on that other forum make it out to be. They overANALyze everything...
Old 09-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Here's a pic of my scooter with my gekko bungied onto it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonaire - Jay 020.jpg (789.7 KB, 7 views)

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear