ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Clubs > Las Vegas Divers
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Las Vegas Divers When you think of Las Vegas, you don't often think if diving, but here in Las Vegas divers are abundant ranging from new open water divers to dive instructors.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

View Poll Results: Would you pay the Cash and get the certs to dive the B29?
Yes! 3 20.00%
No! 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
bmp51
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Dive the B29?

Would you pay the 300+ bucks (not coutning the certs) to dive the limited access B29 at the bottom of Lake Mead?

-- BMP --

Las Vegas Divers
bmp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
NitroWill
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
My Photos: 17 Images
Referal Stats
Referals: 7
Their Posts: 25
300? The web site says 450...

That's money better spent elsewhere for me..
NitroWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
wkowalski
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
BMP,

In my opinion the B-29 is going to be a very hard sell at most prices. While a B-29 crash site is rare, even a $150 is a lot of money for something you can't touch. It's my understanding NPS has a cable around the bomber defining the "keep out" zone.

I'm sure NPS is charging a significant fee for the CUA permits to dive the B-29, but why? In contrast, the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce only charges a $10 a year fee to dive the Spiegal Grove, a much more interesting dive in my opinion, and with other wrecks simply paying the charter fee.

Am I missing some nostalgia that justifies these premiums?
wkowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Charles R
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Not willing to pay those fees If I want to dive Wrecks I'll take the 450 and fly to North Carolina and stay and dive some great war wrecks
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
FishFood
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 1
I have a feelign a b29 in a lake, would look about like it would at a meusem... Which, would normally be ok, but not for that price.

DIVING NUTZ

FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Desert_Diver
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkowalski View Post
BMP,

In my opinion the B-29 is going to be a very hard sell at most prices. While a B-29 crash site is rare, even a $150 is a lot of money for something you can't touch. It's my understanding NPS has a cable around the bomber defining the "keep out" zone.

I'm sure NPS is charging a significant fee for the CUA permits to dive the B-29, but why? In contrast, the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce only charges a $10 a year fee to dive the Spiegal Grove, a much more interesting dive in my opinion, and with other wrecks simply paying the charter fee.

Am I missing some nostalgia that justifies these premiums?
I think I remember reading about a B-29 crash off San Diego. Plus if you dive there, there are other wrecks to see.

The National Park Service has gone a little nuts about restricting acess to public lands. They've even gotten anal about the back country in Yellowstone where the foot traffic is nothing like around Old Faithful. I think there is a similar dive policy in Lake Yellowstone. I've never spoken to a diver who has actually jumped through the necessary hoops to dive there.

The USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor is a restricted dive also. Unless you're related to someone on the NPS dive team.

Art
Desert_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
The Arizona is a whole different ball game in my book.

I would say that what ever the price is for the B-29, the state is getting something out of it. Especially since part of it seems to be cabled off as a no dive zone.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
coralcrazed
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I never really understood why wrecks are so popular... I've been to one wreak at about 100 feet and it was cool but to do another? nah not for me...
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Kinda like caves, coralcrazed. If you don't get it then you won't dive them. I like the wrecks just because of their history. Also being from IN it is about the only deep diving that I get to do.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:14 AM   #10
coralcrazed
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
Kinda like caves, coralcrazed. If you don't get it then you won't dive them. I like the wrecks just because of their history. Also being from IN it is about the only deep diving that I get to do.
yeh but why is it important to go deep? to say you've been there or that you've seen this or that. If I want history I open my books or use the net. Oh and caves... whats there to get? Is it the thrill of going in and being able to get out? My desire for diving lies on seeing the ocean life. corals and fish. thats just me but I'm trying to understand what else I may be missing. Its answers like that that get me even more confused about the question.

Last edited by coralcrazed : 09-23-2007 at 01:18 AM.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Clubs > Las Vegas Divers