ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets Call them what you will... the floatie things we wear.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
unclepooty
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
My Photos: 2 Images
I'm 6'1" 230 lbs. med. build. Went with the large ORANGE one (don't know if there is any difference in the black sizes) It does get a little heavy when wet...........but I didn't notice 'till they made me get out of the water
Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
DirtyWaterIL
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I have the zone and i love it. Don't really know what to say specifically about it that makes it so good but i'm very happy with mine.
DirtyWaterIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
Harshal
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
I have the Orange one and like Larry mentioned they do tend to get heavy when wet and gets pretty heavy and Orange one runs a little color when new.
Orange has 2 big pockets in front, in addition to weight pouch, also I like the weight pouch as there is no fancy insert, in case if you have to ditch weight all you lose is piece of lead and not the insert that would cost you 40- 50 bucks.
Also the zippered pocket comes in handy on cummerbund and lots of steel D rings.

I am happy for the price I paid and Orange BC works like a charm as conversation starter.
Harshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
Darth Fishhead
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 0
My Orange Wonder is great. I'm 6'2", 250-ish (-ish means +20 lbs or so) and it's been a bit on the big side (I ordered the L/XL) but on the last day of my trip to Bonaire, as I was packing, I noticed through the tears that the cumberbundt is easily adjustable with Velcro (probably a common feature, but I'm a n00b). It now fits better than ever. I have to say how cool it looks in the pictures. Against the Carribean blue, the BC has a bright fire-red glow to it. Hopefully Ill get some pix up here or ScubaBoard soon.
In further testament to the BC, the number of pockets and D-rings on that bad boy make me the envy of all my dive buddies.
Love it!
Darth Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
sks77
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I have the Orange one as well.

PROS
- Really comfortable in the water
- Lots of good rings and pockets
- Very adjustable
- I like the weight system because if you have to dump them, all you lose is the lead

CONS
- HEAVY It does not drain water very well or quickly when pulled out of the ater. Also, that tough material seems to really soak it up.

Overall, I really like the BCD but I will probaby invest in more of a travel BCD to help with lighter packing and so that every boat captain that has to pull that thing up onto the boat doesn't complain. Also, one guy almost dropped it on my head because he wasn't expecting that amount of weight as he drug it on board.

Has anyone explored modifying that BCD at all to help it drain better or to drop some weight? Not sure exactly what you would do but my buddy and I were tossign around some ideas.
sks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #16
ParrotHead
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Are the two BCs the same except for the color? Does the black one have the same water drainage/weight issues?

Thanks,

I'm Growing Older, But Not Up! - JB
ParrotHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
Harshal
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post
Are the two BCs the same except for the color? Does the black one have the same water drainage/weight issues?

Thanks,
As far as I know thye are same and the material is same too, could be wrong. I thought Orange one had more rings since it was made for search and rescue.
Diving with it was never problem, its just you have to make sure u set out and let it drain out good before you fly with all the weight restrictions now days.
Harshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
DirtyWaterIL
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotHead View Post

Thanks,
I have a black back inflate zone and I have never noticed any problems with water weight when I get out of the lake.
DirtyWaterIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
Darth Fishhead
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 0
the "water weight" has not been a problem for me. It does take a while to dry, which can be a problem in my current apartment. All my gear is dry and ready to be stored in the attic, but the bc is still damp and needs more outside time. Although letting the back pad dangle helps speed thing along.
Darth Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
russp
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I wanted to purchase my own BC and regulator package before going for my open water certification. I decided on the orange Riptide because it had the most adjustment for a good fit on my 5'4"/140lb with a gut body. After a few dives, I'm really happy with my choice. The only downside (hopefully temporary) is I have not found knife that will mount well to the right shoulder strap; there's not much room between the D rings.
russp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets