ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Mask / Snorkels / Fins
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mask / Snorkels / Fins Personal Gear questions and opinions.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
porsche060
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 225
Tusa Zoom Fins vs Aeris Velocity Fin

Any personal advice on which to choose? I heard the Aeris is a hybrid which is you get the best of both worlds
porsche060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
mike_s
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I've got the Tusa zoom's and I'm happy with them. The only thing is that if you try to kick very hard from a complete stop, then the fins will "burn out" from to much thrust and no movement. Not a big deal though.

For some reason I don't have leg cramping with these fins like I've had with some others.

If I was to go to a drysuit, I'd most likely want a heavier set of fins though as you've got more drag to overcome with thrust.

note: I've heard the 'black only' colored fins are a little stiffer if you need a stiffer version of this.

while this isn't a comparison like you really wanted, I hope it's at least some helpful info.

-mike
mike_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
CrzyJay456
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

the tusa are good for me, helps me keep up with my BF (6'0foot and pretty quick) and his Brother (6'4 and kicks like a horse)
CrzyJay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
MEL-DC Diver
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I have the velocity and they have treated me well. The straps were tearing up my fingers on multiple dives (though, this is not particular to the Aeris fins), so I threw on some spring straps and all is well. They do rebound quickly from any awkward storage position as well, and as you would expect the blades soften over time. Still, no complaints.
MEL-DC Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
scubasamurai
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
My Photos: 3 Images
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
haven't had the chance to give either a try, but let s know if some has them. i am in the market for a new set of fins myself and heard about the splits
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Vercingetorix
Grouper
Founding Member
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
I've used the Aeris Velocity hybrid fins since day one. They provide the perfect balance of power and maneuverability. From a standing start, one quick flick and I launch. If I need to move "just a bit", a simple flick from the knees propels me forward. The fins do well when frog-kicking as well.

I do, sometimes, get cramps. I don't blame the fin for this. I've cramped when lifting a heavy load off the bottom (for instance, rescuing a "victim" during class).

I highly recommend this fin.
Avatar text: Somehow, I don't think you thought your cunning plan all the way through
Vercingetorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
mulefeathers
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
I use the Tusa. Really enjoy them easy feel no cramps. Started out with the Mares Plana Avanti Quattro cramped with them. I also dove with the scuba pro twin jet. All in all I really would recommend the Tusa X-pert Zoom fins.
mulefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Foo2
Grouper
Founding Member
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 81
I also have the Velocity fins. They work great to me...although, they are the only ones I've ever tried, so I can't really compare them to anything else.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
creggur
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
Love my Zooms....I think they accelerate quite nicely.. It's the only fin I've used so I can't compare.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Bill22
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
My Photos: 24 Images
Send a message via Yahoo to Bill22
I have the Tusa X-Pert Zoom's... Really like them. In the past, I used the old US Divers Rocket Fins and Cressi Sub Rondine Gamma which were both similar design in that they were both "Jet/Rocket" type fins.

The Rocket Fins were all rubber and worked really well for me. The Cressi Subs were one of the earlier composite designs, rubber foot pocket, with the remainder of the fin being plastic. This of course was all back in the day before split fins were around (We're talking 70's and 80's here ;-)

Hard to give a really good comparison since it's been so long, but I can say that I'm very happy with my Tusa's.

Just killing time during my surface interval;-)
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Mask / Snorkels / Fins