ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIR & Tec Gear Techie stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #31
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
If you do not have a can light you can tuck the the hose into your waistbelt (BP/W) or your cummerbund (BC). To get it out just pull.
Alternatively you could route it under an accessory pocket or knife worn on your right hand side of your waist (That probably works better with a BP/W)

If you are doing wreck penetrations of any significance at all you should be using the reel.Winding in a reel if you dont have a light on a Goodman handle could get interesting unless you have 3 hands.
I have no idea about the PADI course though.
Ahh.. that is a good point. I think I can hold my reel handle and flashlight at the same time. They're not big handles. You're right though the Goodman handle would be better. I suspect that we won't be penetrating to a point that we lose surface light.

Thanks for the advice on configuring the hose.
Hey Bill,

Just stating the obvious here..

It's fine to learn about different systems on the internet but there is nothing like instruction from a qualified professional.

Also, if you were to ask me (and I know, you didn't), the best thing would be for you to penetrate a wreck/cave or whatever only after you received the appropriate training.
kobalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #32
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
Also, if you were to ask me (and I know, you didn't), the best thing would be for you to penetrate a wreck/cave or whatever only after you received the appropriate training.
Sadly, that brings up the issue as to whether or not PADI's wreck diving specialty qualifies you to penetrate a wreck in any manner, during (limited penetration is "optional" within certain limits) or after class, without additional training.

I would say not, but each person has to make their own decision.

It's a good class for learning some general procedures and external surveys, but personally, I don't feel the class teaches nearly enough to qualify students to penetrate an overhead environment.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:02 AM   #33
Bill22
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 24 Images
Send a message via Yahoo to Bill22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
Sadly, that brings up the issue as to whether or not PADI's wreck diving specialty qualifies you to penetrate a wreck in any manner, during (limited penetration is "optional" within certain limits) or after class, without additional training.

I would say not, but each person has to make their own decision.

It's a good class for learning some general procedures and external surveys, but personally, I don't feel the class teaches nearly enough to qualify students to penetrate an overhead environment.
I would tend to agree with you...

I did the PADI Cavern course about 20 years ago. I did a fair amount of cavern diving in Florida, but we're talking really basic, limited penetrations. Caverns which were wide open, with lots of surface light, and had limited or no chance of silt-out. Very safe stuff, relatively speaking. It has to be at least 15 years though since I've done anything even like that. Even with all the dives I've done, after such a long break I do feel sometimes like I'm starting over again ;-)

I'm planning on doing the PADI Wreck Diving Specialty while I'm on vacation. I really only think of that as an introduction. I have no plans on any kind of serious penetrations. I don't have the training or the gear for it. If my interest is sparked, then I will invest in more training and equipment.

Thanks for all the input... I may consider buying a canister light with a Goodman handle before I go... Any recommendations for an acceptable, low cost light. I realize that is probably a contradictory statement ("acceptable" and "low cost") :-D

Just killing time during my surface interval;-)
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #34
ccarter
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
My Photos: 3 Images
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
Why wouldn't you have wrist mounted gauges?!

I'm not a "DIR" diver but I do run a wrist mounted computer via bungee/deepsea supply suunto mount. I just like a clean gear set up and have stolen a few "DIR" ideas but I only dive warm water tropics stuff so some of their stuff is overkill for me.

I used a console brick thingy for my OW dives and I hated it.. it was cumbersome.. I couldn't really see a good simple way to secure the thing without it moving around a lot. I knew I wanted a wrist mounted computer but the straps it comes with just make no sense to me as you will have to tighten them at depth and then I saw the bungee mount..

You will always have your depth/dive time information right in front of you.. even if you're snapping a picture or fiddling with something.. makes perfect sense. Why wouldn't you have wrist mounted gauges? I have a pressure gauge clipped off right below my waist and it's easy to just glance down and see where I'm at air wise.. can't really do that with a computer.. hard to make out all the little digital numbers and whatnot (for me at least).
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #35
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
Thanks for all the input... I may consider buying a canister light with a Goodman handle before I go... Any recommendations for an acceptable, low cost light. I realize that is probably a contradictory statement ("acceptable" and "low cost") :-D
If we're just talking about one class, I wonder if it makes sense to hit Home Depot and jury rig a goodman handle for one of your existing lights? A little piece of PVC sized just right could hold the tube of an existing light, and a soft goodman handle can easily be made with a foot of 1" elastic band material from a sewing shop. (See the soft goodman handle used on the Salvo 10w canister light, for instance).

This would be VERY easy for your smaller light, but I know I've seen DIY goodman handles for light cannons (although they're really heavy, it can work), so your ShockWave should be mountable as well.

You'll want a proper can light later, of course, but if you're not ready to buy one now, having the ability to hold your light properly and run a line at the same time would go a long way towards making things easier for the class, which won't necessarily even have any penetration to speak of. Just something to consider.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear