ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Dry Suits
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dry Suits When neoprene is just not enough!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
BusDiver
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Right Around the Motor City, United States
Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
The wife and I enjoyed the class. It was "free" when we purchased our suits. Our first experience with dry suit diving was at DUI days. It was a good place to try on a suit but not a good place to try to get any instruction on diving a suit.

Diving dry has changed the way that we look at the season. Most folks up here are preparing for one more month of diving. I am waiting for the ice.
BusDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
mm_dm
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDiver View Post
Diving dry has changed the way that we look at the season. Most folks up here are preparing for one more month of diving. I am waiting for the ice.

Sweet. That's hard-core, brother.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Theepdinker
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusDiver View Post
I am waiting for the ice.
The only ice I look forward to is in a drink at the end of the day.

Theep
Theepdinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
skdvr
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 413
I am looking forward to do some ice diving this winter at Lake Okoboji in Ia. My LDS tries to do a trip there each year so hopefully I will get to give it a shot. It is something else that interests me with diving dry.

Phil
skdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
Some will teach you to use the drysuit instead of your BC. Didn't work for but I use the theory of..if it isn't broken then don't fix it. My BC wasn't broken.
I use my BC as a BC most of the time, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm competant at using my drysuit as a BC. It's another tool in your bag of tricks and IMO a person should be comfortable doing it either way.

I was taught to use the drysuit as a BC but learned the other method later on which is how I usually dive in it. I think most courses teach a person to use the drysuit as a BC for the most part and IMO it's not an easy skill for a new diver to pick up and do correctly every time. It would be much easier to just say use your BC and remove the squeeze with the drysuit.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #16
skdvr
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 413
We too were taught to use the Dry Suit as a BC. The instructor told us that in Tech you are supposed to use your BC and just put enough air into Dry Suit to negate the squeeze. He said that PADI's take on it is that as a newer Dry Suit diver you do not need to be trying to do two things at once, but if we are wanting to get into tech we would be better of learning now than trying to re learn later, and we both should be competent enough now to be able to handle both. The two of us in the class agreed and so we are learning to do both.

Phil
skdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
Tod
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I tried to take a drysuit course through my LDS and they refused to teach me because I didn't buy my drysuit through them. They said they offered a free course to those who bought one of their suits, but they wouldn't do a paid course for just anyone. Seemed a bit pompous to me.

So I took to just reading up on the subject and learning on my own. I've tried it both ways (using the suit as a BC and using the suit only for warmth) and I prefer to continue using the BC. It's a nice option as a back-up, but I find I have more control over my bouyancy with just using the BC - and fewer rapid acents, too!

Course or not, it's a good idea to just take a dive or two to simply play with all the options and experiment with different things. Get to understand and know your exhaust valve settings (did you know you can also push it in to dump air quickly?) and try different options, too. There are a few ways to solve the floaty feet issue other than just using ankle weights.

Nothing beats being dry, especially at the end of your dive!
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #18
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
Drysuit courses are a great idea for many, but using a drysuit is not rocket science. I took a course after diving dry for 6 months only because I wanted to be able to rent a suit (the few local shops that rent DS's won't rent to you without a DS card) in case I needed to send mine in for repairs, travel, etc. I picked up a few handy tips, but the majority of what I needed to know I learned from reading a couple of easy, shallow dives with an experienced drysuit diver/buddy.

Any shop that won't let you take a specialty course because you did not purchase gear from them is probably in violation of rules from PADI, NAUI, etc. There are no such requirements, merely a greedy owner. I suppose they teach the "Deep" specialty, but what special gear do you have to buy from them for that one? It's absurd. Find another LDS, if you can, or call PADI, would be my recommendation.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #19
Tod
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
Any shop that won't let you take a specialty course because you did not purchase gear from them is probably in violation of rules from PADI, NAUI, etc. There are no such requirements, merely a greedy owner. I suppose they teach the "Deep" specialty, but what special gear do you have to buy from them for that one? It's absurd. Find another LDS, if you can, or call PADI, would be my recommendation.
This may not be the best place/area to discuss issues with my LDS, but you're right in that I found it a bit absurd. My "LDS" (who is in the SSI program) is not really all that local (it's about a 50 minute drive from my house). I figure if I am going to drive that far, it's not much more of a drive to go another 15-20 minutes further and then have four dive shops to actually "shop/compare" for equipment. In the case of my drysuit, some other shop won my business on that item because they were willing to offer me a custom-fit suit I needed without the up-charge (and it had a few extra items tossed in the deal).

The issue first came to light when I showed up for a dive that my LDS was putting on and I had my drysuit on. They questioned me about where I got my suit - grilling me on the price I paid. In a way, the *almost* made me feel a little sorry for them that they didn't win my business on that item, but it soon changed when they appeared to be mad at me for having something on that didn't come from their shop! Well excuuuuuuse me!

I tried to make it up to them by asking if they had offered a class and that is when they flat out told me their class is only for their customers. Unfortunately for them I already have most of my equipment so I likely wouldn't need to do much more business from them other than filling my tanks (because they are the closest).

Earlier this year, I enrolled my girlfriend into their scuba certification course and even bought all of her initial gear (mask, fins, booties, snorkel, and books) from them. After her class and certification, we found a custom-ordered 7mm Bare wetsuit on line that fit all of her particulars (she is short) that was never picked up. We got it for a great deal and the money we saved on the wetsuit allowed us to get her a better BC. However, when she showed up for a dive with her new gear on, they did the same thing to her! The owner grilled us with 20-questions on where we got this equipment. I simply told them "The shop down the road didn't seem to mind where we collected our gear." (We bought the BC from another not-so-LDS so that we could have the service and waranty issues covered. Figuring the BC was more important than a wetsuit.)

I fully understand the issues every dive shop has with internet sales cutting into their business. But they have to also understand that not everyone's budget is free to pay top dollar for every item.

And now, to ty all this into this thread, make sure when you DO find the right drysuit, pay a good (but fair) price for it!
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Dry Suits