ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > How do I fix this?
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I fix this? This is a place for more technical equipment related questions. How do I stop this free flow, what is the IP of this reg, etc.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Flatliner
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
How do I neutralize pool chlorine?

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas. My son and I are going to be diving at the YMCA pool a couple of times a week this winter. How can we keep our gear safe from the chlorine? I have considered a large rinse tank with the chlorine treatment that they make for fish tanks but I don't know enough chemistry to know if this would be ok.

Does anyone have any home brewed neutralizer that would be cheaper and ok to use?

Thanks in advance.

On a shameless mission to 250...
Flatliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
If it is like most public pools you are probably going to have some odd colored gear. Rinse really well right after getting out and you might be fine.
They also sell a solution that is used for bathing suits and such. Not sure of the name but my GF used it for her swimming classes because the chlorine faded her first suit really bad.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
bperrybap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
My Photos: 1 Images
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 7
I found that some pools are so overly chlorinated that
even immediate rinsing isn't enough.
I did some pool dives and the rash guard I had on smelled
of strong chlorine even after several washings/rinsings
and even drying.
I was amazed that the chlorine smell lingered.
I figured that it couldn't be good for the rest of the gear.
Since I have several large aquariums I tried using
some of the de-chlorinator I use on my fish tanks. It worked
like a charm. Removed the chlorine smell completely.
Now I use it on all my gear when I do my final rinsings in
the bathtub.

Top-Fin makes an inexpensive product that you can pick
up at Walmart.

--- bill
bperrybap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
wkowalski
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Sodium thiosulfate is a chlorine neutralizer. If you can't find it locally you can get it online (http://www.chemistrystore.com/sodium_thiosulfate.htm)

Wayne...
wkowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Goodluck! If it is as strong as most public pools you will have some funky colored gear. I have also heard that chlorine is hard on neoprene.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
James
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
I have also heard that chlorine is hard on neoprene.
That is true. Chlorine is hard on everything because it is an oxidizer.
Chlorine is not the only thing that can affect you in the pool.
If saturation index in the pool water is too high, it will leave a white residu behind when it dries. If it is too low, the water could be corrosive. The corrosion would show up in any jewlery you are wearing before it shows in stainless steel. It would also turn the pool water a copper green color becasue it would corrode the inside of the heaters too.

I know about pool chemistry because I used to work with computerized chemical controlers so I could tell you how it effects everything from the pump room, to the pool surface, to the air in the room the indoors pool is located, but I do not know enough about scuba gear to say how much it will be affected. I do know, however, that a swimsuit will fade over time even if you rinse off after getting out of the pool.

If you are just looking for something to get the residual chlorine off your gear the aquarium treatment should work fine. It cannot be too harsh of a chemical if fish can live with it. Thiosulfate can be found in most pool stores and its ph should be pretty close to neutral so that should not hurt anything. But rememebr, while your gear is in the pool is when it will be most affected by the chlorine and ph.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 128
They sell chlorine neutralizer at swimming pool shops, but I think most of the damage will be done while you're in the water, not afterwards. You want to rinse with fresh water and that should probably be enough.
jo8243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
comet24
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Rinse it as soon as you get out of the water and that will do about as much as you can. The chlorine will do the damage while in the water. No need to spend money on Sodium Thiosulfate. For it to have a effect you would have to rinse the gear in a solution of it as soon as you got out.

Chlorine in public pools is normally around 3.5ppm. Most health department regulate it to between 1.5-5ppm some will let you go up to 10ppm.
comet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
Lone Frogman
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Buy a test kit and test the water before you get in. If the chlorine level is too high don't get in. Bring your concern to the aquatics director. If they fail to act bring your concern to the health department. Burning eyes and strong chlorine smells means the combined chlorine is too high. When the combined chlorine gets too high, the pool needs to be shocked. High combined chlorine levels actually cause the chlorine to be less effective. Shocking the pool is the way to remove the chloramines and allow the free chlorine to do its sanitation.
I dive pools for work, some of the pools I dive for work have a free chlorine as high as 30PPM. Some of my gear has shown some fading, but in the last 12 years I have no equipment damaged by high chlorine levels. However I the rinse my gear inside and out immediately after using.

lone : solitary : sole,only : isolated
frogman : a swimmer equipped to work underwater for long periods of time
Lone Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Ramgib
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 3
I know that some people will wet/soak gear in fresh water just before entering pool. They say it slows the obsorbtion of the cholorinated water. Not sure how true this is.

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > How do I fix this?