ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Regulators
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Regulators First stages, second, octo's - regulate your thoughts in this forum.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
coralcrazed
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
a specific regulator maintenance question

I plan on buying some equipment... well most of my equipment. a reg,octo,guages,computer,bc the question is... I dive exclusively on vacation and will not get to use the new stuff until the summer when I go away... If I buy the equipment now and say I don't go away for more than one year later. do I still need to get the regs serviced? perhaps this is a question for larry and anyone else who feel qualified to answer this. Thanks
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
subsur
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

well, if you want to keep "lifetime warranty", then the answer is YES - you have to do the service. it's like a car and oil change.
subsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
You might find out that parts for life isn't that big of a deal especially if the regs are going to sit in the closet for, say two years. You pay $50 a year total of $100. Or you pay say $75 for just when you need it.
But yes you do need to service your regs especially if they are going to sit. This is worse on a reg than diving it.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
in_cavediver
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
I plan on buying some equipment... well most of my equipment. a reg,octo,guages,computer,bc the question is... I dive exclusively on vacation and will not get to use the new stuff until the summer when I go away... If I buy the equipment now and say I don't go away for more than one year later. do I still need to get the regs serviced? perhaps this is a question for larry and anyone else who feel qualified to answer this. Thanks
Personally, I'd wait until a few months before your trip to buy, then go play in a pool and take the trip.

As for servicing regs. The politically correct answer is 1 year or what the manufacturer says. (Salvo and Dive Rite are 2 years, atomic might be as well not sure though).

I, on the other hand, have several first stages in the 3-5 year range. I service those when they need it. (I monitor IP's and do the service myself). On the 2nd stages, every couple years is about the most I'd want them to go. They are exposed to the elements and can get 'yucky' over time. This is also the piece you put in your mouth so put it in perspective there.

Now, if you want the extended service window, don't worry to much about the first stage other than keeping is dry and clean. Definitley inspect each year and before you use it for damaged hoses and for IP creep. For the 2nd stages, look online and see if your reg is one where you can release the pressure on the seat. If you can, it can be stored much longer with no loss of performance. If it can't releive pressure on the seat then that seat can take a 'set' which starts down the service me sooner cycle.

Whatver route you take - the idle or service. Make sure to test your gear a couple weeks in advance of your trip in a local pool. Most reg issues come right after servicing or from gross neglect. You want to know if you have an issue before leaving.
in_cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
coralcrazed
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

so can i assume from what you are all telling me that when you buy a reg from a store and that reg has sat for more than one year on the shelf in the store, the stroe will service it prior to sending it out to you?

and what da'heck is an IP?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
in_cavediver
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
so can i assume from what you are all telling me that when you buy a reg from a store and that reg has sat for more than one year on the shelf in the store, the stroe will service it prior to sending it out to you?

and what da'heck is an IP?
First, an IP is the intermediate pressure. Its the pressue the first stage steps tank pressure. The 2nd stage then brings it down to ambient. On most regs, the Intermediate pressure is around 120-150psi.

As for the second question about regs sitting around for a year or more on the shelf somewhere, I doubt a shop services them prior to sending it with the customer. I mean its new right....
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
coralcrazed
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

so tht brings me to my first quesion... If I get it new and wait more than a year to dive it. Do I need to service it? I'm confused.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
so tht brings me to my first quesion... If I get it new and wait more than a year to dive it. Do I need to service it? I'm confused.
Yes, have it serviced. This is just a personal opinion. In_cavediver does bring up a good point about the reg sitting on the shelf at the LDS.

Last edited by quasimoto : 09-25-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
in_cavediver
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
Quote:
Yes, have it serviced. This is just a personal opinion. In_cavediver does bring up a good point about the reg sitting on the shelf at the LDS.
This is good advice. When in doubt, inspect and service your gear. (be sure to verify functionality though prior to any real diving). Anxiety over small things such as this contributes to stress during dives. A goal is to remove as much stress as possible when diving, both for enjoyment and safety.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
Quote:
This is good advice. When in doubt, inspect and service your gear. (be sure to verify functionality though prior to any real diving). Anxiety over small things such as this contributes to stress during dives. A goal is to remove as much stress as possible when diving, both for enjoyment and safety.
Good point. Do a dive before your vacation just to check out your gear. Breathing off it at the surface doesn't mean that it will work at depth either.

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Regulators