ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Manufacturer Specific > Mares
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mares And Dacor - which they also own.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Cichlid
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Mares Raptor Fin (Limited Review)

All right, keep in mind that I have little experience with fins in general, but this will hold some over until someone can give a better review.

My fins: Black Apollo Bio fins w/spring straps
Borrowed fins: Red Mares Raptor fins with standard straps

Hand test:

First off, they weigh about the same. The biggest difference just from handling them was the Bio Fins were a bit more flexible. You could feel that difference in the water, but it wasn't as noticeable as I thought it would be. I didn't like the feel of the Raptor compared to the Bio, but it didn't really didn't matter once on my feet.

Foot Test:

Obviously, the spring straps on my Bios were an unfair comparison, so it's hard to fault the Raptor for the straps. The new Mares buckle worked great for what it was. It was easy to get on and off my foot. It tightened up nice and felt good on my feet. I read that the buckle was a problem on previous Mares models, but I never had any issues with these for the test. I was worried that the Mares wouldn't fit my foot as well as the Bios because the size range was so different. Mares Regular: 6-13 vs Bio Fin Large: 10-11, it wasn't an issue though for my wide 10.5 feet. Both fit great.

Pool Test:

Advantage Bios. Although it wasn't a huge overall difference, the more rigid Mares fins didn't feel as comfortable as the Bios when doing a few laps underwater. Don't get me wrong here, the Raptors were good, I am just afraid it would be a lot more noticeable on a 3-day trip where you're using them constantly. If you're into the more rigid fin, then these are probably the perfect fins for you!

Pee Test:

No, I didn't pee in them. Nor did I test out how fast I could run to the bathroom with them on. This was my 3 yr olds contribution to the review. The Bio fin has an open toe, so when lifting them out of the pool, the water just went out. However, the Mares fins have a closed toe with 3 drilled holes in the foot for drainage. Well, my 3 yr old pointed out that my fins were peeing as I lifted them out and the water drained. Hey, you never know what's important to you guys! Advantage: Depends (Get it? Depends! Now you know where my boy gets it from.)

Overall:

Again, everything was very close. I didn't feel like I had to use more power to get going in one vs the other. I didn't feel one was heads above the other in anything done. If you like a stiffer fin with a flashy design, get the Raptors for sure. If you like a softer, solid color fin get the Bios. I only tested with mask, snorkel, boots, fins, and no other gear. Yes, I did have swim trunks on, get your mind out of the gutter people! I hope this helps you. Remember, I'm not a professional, nor do I play one one TV. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Extras:

You can order them or read more here:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...MaresRaptorFin

Last edited by Cichlid : 09-27-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Cichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Krakenn
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Thanks nice review what is your conlcusion though?
Would you buy them?

Kraks
Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Cichlid
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Well, I did buy them. Early xmas present for my brother-in-law so we could get certified. Would I buy them for myself? If I could do it over again, I'd buy my Apollo's again. If I bought the Mares though and never had the Apollo's, I'd still be very happy with them. Does that make sense?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Krakenn
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Nope except to say the raptors arent leading with anything new but thanks as I was going to get a set as I havent seen them in Aus yet and was going to get them for a mate. You saved me some dosh.

Kraks

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Manufacturer Specific > Mares