ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Regulators
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Regulators First stages, second, octo's - regulate your thoughts in this forum.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Judestudio
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 53
I've heard that DIN connects better and doesn't leak as much as yoke. But yoke tends to be very popular as well.

What's your view on it?

Judestudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
DIN is the best and more reliable. In fact on my last boat dive a guy with a yoke turned on his valve and all of a sudden you heard, pffttt.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Din is almost more secure. Old story, but it's a good design.</DIV>
Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
WaterRat
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Go DIN for the extra safety of the captured o-ring and more secure connection. Just make sure you have the yolk adapter for diving in places where DIN tanks aren't common.
<DIV>Ron</DIV>
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
thesmoothdome
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
My old posideon odin had both connectors built into the first stage. Great idea. Wish more companies would do it. That said, most of dive operations I've seen in So. Cal.and the Carribean use yolk valves on their tanks, so if I had to choose one, I'd go yoke. Back in the day, when I had regulr access to HP steel tanks, the posideon came in real handythough.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Overall, I've never reallynoticed a difference in terms of them leaking. I definately have had more blown O-rings with the yolk valves, butit's rare that onewould start leakingunderwater. </DIV>
thesmoothdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
somewhereinla
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Din. It's a better system and a din to yoke converter make it flexible should you need to use yoke. If you get yoke, you are stuck with yoke as there is no yoke to Din converter that I know of.
somewhereinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Joew
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
I think it depends on where you dive and whether or not you have your own tanks. Here in Hawai'i, as with most tropical travel destination, pretty much every tank is AL with yoke valve. A DIN reg doesn't do you much good here without an adapter. But if you wan't to dive with HP steel tanks, for example, then DIN regs are for you.

For recreational diving, a DIN reg is no more safe than a yoke valve. The leaking issue you brought up is due to the o-ring. With a yoke connection the o-ring is in the tank valve, whereas with a DIN it is on the reg. Most divers are less likely to check the o-ring on a tank than a reg. Tank valve o-rings are cheap and easy to replace, and you'll always catch any serious leaks before you get in the water.

If you plan on using tanks with both types of valves, then I would reccomend a DIN reg with yoke adapter.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
medic001918
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Send a message via AIM to medic001918 Send a message via Yahoo to medic001918
It depends on what tanks you use. I used to use yolk, but then my fiance got some HP tanks that were done, so to be consistent I changed my reg to DIN as well. Plus my argon reg is DIN, so I like to be consistent across the board.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It all comes down to what you prefer and what's availabe in your area.</DIV>
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>
medic001918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Judestudio
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 53
Looks like DIN reg gives more flexibility to be able to change between DIN and yoke. Is there one more popular than the other?
Judestudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #9
medic001918
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Send a message via AIM to medic001918 Send a message via Yahoo to medic001918
Yolk's are more popular among rental tanks that you'll get. So make sure you have a converter available if you use DIN. When we travel, unless I'm bringing tanks I put the yolk valves back on our regs. But when home and using our own tanks, we dive exclusively DIN.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>
medic001918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #10
przeor
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Same here- yoke if we travel, Din at home on the steel tanks. Might try the DIN to yoke adapter this time around though as I'm really impressed with our new regs we use on our doubles, and I really want to take them traveling.
przeor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Regulators