ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > US Diving > Hawaii
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hawaii Kona, Big Island - all of them!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Zenagirl
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Welcome Hawaii

Yay, we have a Hawaii forum now!!

We visit Maui at least once a year since we have a timeshare on Kaanapali Beach, and we love diving there. We'll be there for a week at Christmas and can't wait!! We even have our charters booked.

Anyone else??
Zenagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
bversteegh
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 23 Images
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
Yay, we have a Hawaii forum now!!

We visit Maui at least once a year since we have a timeshare on Kaanapali Beach, and we love diving there. We'll be there for a week at Christmas and can't wait!! We even have our charters booked.

Anyone else??
My daughter is getting married January 3rd on Maui; already a little tough finding a place to stay that is reasonable (have the Marriott reserved - $400/night ouch). Any other recommendations?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Zenagirl
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

If they want to stay on Kaanapali Beach, they should definitely try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Less than $200 a night, clean, and right next to the Sheraton.

Otherwise, there are a lot of places down in Kihei that are cheaper, and a quick search on Expedia would help with that.

Sorry I couldn't be a bigger help, we own at Marriott.
Zenagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
yankeefan21
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Send a message via Yahoo to yankeefan21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bversteegh View Post
My daughter is getting married January 3rd on Maui; already a little tough finding a place to stay that is reasonable (have the Marriott reserved - $400/night ouch). Any other recommendations?
Check out Redweek.com. It's a great site for picking up other people's timeshares. I did a quick search for you and found these:

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - $300/nt - sleeps 4 - Dec 28-Jan 4
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina - $343/nt - sleeps 4 - Dec 29-Jan 5
Sands of Kahana Vacation Club - $357/nt - sleeps 10 - Dec 29-Jan 5

One thing - if you get something nice, you've got to take me with you! I will fit in a reasonable-sized suitcase...
yankeefan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
moondog
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Smile Hawaii

I go to Oahu for the month of sept. every year love the diving stay at the Hale Koa hotel on Fort DeRussy 70 acres on Waikiki beach it's the military hotel. i can't wait to dive there again i dive with www.coolbluescuba.com . look at his web site i took a lot of the pictures . roger smith is a great dive master. this is no cattle boat 36' sailboat it's like having your own sailboat in Hawaii . we do the Friday night sailboat races . go out fishing . if you dive with him . he will ask you to go sailing with him -- Aloha -------aaaaaaaaa long-board beer I'll have 2 more please !!! cant wait 6 days and a wake up
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
tbuckalew
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Maui

Just got back from 10 days in Maui!

First - Kaanapali is a resort area. If you like that kind of thing, great! Several large hotels to choose from. If you want to save a bit, look a little farther south (just a few miles) to Lahaina - more Key West like with rates across the board.

If you are planning on staying a few days and don't mind the drive up to Kaanapali for the festivities, I would suggest looking down at Kihei or Wailea. Wailea is on south Maui is the new resort area and wealthy district. There are some resorts on the north edge of Wailea/South Kihei that are a little more affordable.

Ourselves, we went to dive - a number of dive shops are all over the island but we rented a two bedroom two bath condo with full kitchen on the Kamaole II beach (right on the water) for just under $350/night. Several restaurants within .2 miles, a couple of conveience stores, and a few grocery stores within 3 miles. Not only that, but the Kihei boat ramp (where our charter left) was only a mile away (great view of Molokini each morning).

If you go, take a dive or two! We did some shore dives with Maui Dreams (some of the best service I've ever experienced) and some boat dives with Mike Severns Diving (best boat crew I've ever experienced). All dives were great, but Maui Dreams had better rental gear.
tbuckalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
ScubaGir1
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
We stayed for two weeks at the Sugar Beach Condos. They were right ON the beach. If you were to hop over the balcony you'd be on the sand, and like 30 feet from water. Great prices too, its not by person its just by condo. So you could fit 2-6 people all for the same price. We stayed in a one bedroom. It had a pull out couch that my sister and I slept on. My parents were in the bedroom. They have bigger condos though.

ScubaGir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Zenagirl
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I'm not normally a "resort/tourist area" person, but I really like the Kaanapali beach area. I like the boardwalk in front of the resorts so if you don't feel like cooking or driving you can walk to a myriad of different places to eat, varying from super cheap (Subway) to expensive.

However, we own a timeshare on Kaanapali beach meaning we pay FAR less than $300 a night for our 1-bedroom/2-bath accommodations (less than $150 actually). The drive down to Kihei to catch our dive charter makes us get up at 5:00am, but watching the sun come up is really beautiful.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
dnishio
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Wife and I have a timeshare in Kihei and are usually in Maui for a week or two each year. Love the easy access to the Kihei boat ramp.

dnishio is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > US Diving > Hawaii