ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Trips & Travel
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trips & Travel Going somewhere fun? See if other board members are goiing to be there, or invite them along! Or brag about your next or last trip!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
cwindrim
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Kona, Hawaii (Kohala Coast) - boat charter or shore dive?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is redundant - I've yet to read all the threads within this forum!

Heading to Hawaii this Jan, a place I'm sure many of you more experienced divers have visited. We're staying on the Kohala Coast of the big island (Fairmont Orchid specifically) and most of the lit. I've checked out says that there are great dives from shore, but outstanding boat dives through various companies.

Any recommendations either way? Could anyone be so kind as to recommend an outfit that was especially memorable and/or helpful? How about a great beach to start from?

thanks - mucho appreçiado.

Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink!
cwindrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
High Plains Drifter
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
I was there a year ago last summer. We actually stayed in Kona, which (I think) is about 30 miles south of where you'll be staying. If you don't mind the drive, we used Jack's Diving Locker for all our dives and they were excellent. The signature dive (for good reason) for a lot of those operators seems to be the manta night dive. It was amazing and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sorry, but we didn't do any shore diving while there.
High Plains Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Damselfish
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
The traffic between the Kohala coast resorts and Kailua town seems pretty bad a lot of the time. There is also road construction going on (which I suspect will change it from a 2 lane to a 4 lane parking lot.) If I were staying at the Orchid or anyplace up that way I would research the shops that leave from places north of Kailua harbor. Kona Honu & Wanna Dive leave from Honokohau. Kohala Divers leaves from Kawaihae. May be others. I don't have personal experience with any of them but have heard mostly good things.
Damselfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
cwindrim
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
great advice. That's the stuff you don't find on travel websites... Traffic problems! Really appreciate that info.

Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink!
cwindrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Trips & Travel