ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Trips & Travel
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trips & Travel Going somewhere fun? See if other board members are goiing to be there, or invite them along! Or brag about your next or last trip!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 AM   #1
picxie
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Regs & gauges in your carry on

I have a reg bag which they'll fit into but thought I might save on space and weight by just wrapping them up in clothing or something that I'll already be taking. What do other people do?
picxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
awap
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
I gutted a hard-sided brief case which will hold 3 sets of regulators for my wife and I after partial disassembly. I disconnect some hoses so they lay flat. On most flights, it does not count as a carry-on; so I can still load up a backpack with masks and some other gear. If I take a pony reg or a 3rd spare, they go in checked luggage with some clothing for protection.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Zenagirl
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
We always carry our regs/computers on (and the camera/housing). Not worth having it get lost or damaged in checked luggage, though I do know folks who always check regs (not computer) and they've always been fine
Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
nitrox_scuba_diver
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
I bought a reg bag made by Armor, I fit 2 sets of regs in there with other stuff that I need and put it under the seat in front of me. Since on my last vacation the airline lost a bag for a day I'm looking to add a rolling backpack so I don't get my diving delayed. Lucky for me this was a non-diving trip!
nitrox_scuba_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
dallasdivergirl
Grouper
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
If you are trying to save on the weight/space I think protecting your computer and guages would be your main concern. I use a heavy duty sports sock (the ones with the cushion padding) for my computer.

http://beautybelow.com/
dallasdivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
wxboy911
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
I always carry regs in a reg bag that is in my carry on bag...I feel like ther is a double layer of protection and its always with me. I like having the reg bag inside my carry on so its no so obvious there is an expensive scuba reg inside.

Over 1/2 way to $50!
wxboy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Chad
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
I always carry on my regs in a reg bag and my mask in my other carry on. My other gear can take the abuse of the baggage handlers but I don't want my regs being beat up. Also if my bags are lost I can rent a bp/w and fins and I am back in business.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
Here's my carry on bag. Probably the same 1 as Nitrox Scuba Diver. It's big enough to carry 2 full reg sets, log book, travel documents, change of clothes, and maybe a snack or 2. I also carry any sea sickness medication, lights, and computer.

I just wish it had wheels.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea View Post
Here's my carry on bag. Probably the same 1 as Nitrox Scuba Diver. It's big enough to carry 2 full reg sets, log book, travel documents, change of clothes, and maybe a snack or 2. I also carry any sea sickness medication, lights, and computer.

I just wish it had wheels.
If you buy the roller bag then the reg bag will "hang" on the handle and sit on top of the other bag..tada. I know more money spent.

I've got the same bag and love it. plenty of room for other items and you can still carry another bag or back pack without penalty. Some will argue about this but as far as I know the airlines allow you one carry one PLUS a personal bag..computer, purse, diaper bag, etc. So basically you can have two. Just don't get them too big or the frown upon that.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Damselfish
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
I put regs in carry on using clothing to protect. It's always seemed a reg bag would allow for less other stuff in the carry on. My console came with small padded cases that slip over it and I slip neoprene socks over the 2nd stages. (The neoprene socks are also backups in case my booties jumped overboard, I would at least have something.)

That said, I've been thinking of trying some kind of reg bag inside the carryon, as what I do now makes for a messy packing job, and even worse repacking when the bag gets searched, which seems to be happening a lot lately.
Damselfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Trips & Travel