ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
Do you have a round peg question about gear that doesn't fit in our square hole categories?
Try posting here.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
DZorn00
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 26
My daughter is ten and wants to take the class after me (I had to tell her and the wife I should try it out first then let them know what it is like) but she can get the PADI junior certification. I haven't had her do the discovery dive yet and after listening to all of you I think I will do that first....
DZorn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
CC1020
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 14
My daughter is 9, and has completed Scuba Rangers. She will most likely be getting her Junior OW cert after her birthday next year. She absolutely loves it, and is a "natural" in the water. Sounds like yours may well be up for the challenge as well. Good luck
CC1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
My LDS has a "Scuba Rangers" class designed to let younger kids try scuba. From what I've seen it's a big hit. They even go on trips together.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Charles R
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1020 View Post
My daughter is 9, and has completed Scuba Rangers. She will most likely be getting her Junior OW cert after her birthday next year. She absolutely loves it, and is a "natural" in the water. Sounds like yours may well be up for the challenge as well. Good luck

My son did several Dives first was a SNUBA dive in Maui that got him hooked bad. then we did 2 Bubble makers secions with him and he loved it so we had his 9th B-day party was a bubble makers party he spent 2 hrs in the pool never got out. Did the PADI Seal team Camp this was a little more interesting as he got to do a Night dive did some compass navigation and a wreak dive all in a pool. then when he turned 10 there was no stopping him. He is now jr OW certified.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
greyzen
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I WISH my dad had been as into my interests as you are your kids.

I begged my father to take me out diving, and he never would :/
Finally, a hundred years later I'm doing it on my own, and can only think about the awesome times I'll never have with 'em there (he's not physically able to dive anymore)
greyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #16
texarkandy
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdad View Post
i have 9 yr old son (turns 10 in november) that wants to learn to dive. let me give you a little back ground on him. he is a very intelligent kid(he scored as being a genius on his IQ test), he is a straight "A" student and is in the gifted and talented class. but he has a problem with interpersonal skills he cannot understand what another person mood or feelings are by their expressions or their body language. he tends to get in trouble in school because of this.
well at the beginning of school of this year i made a deal with him if he could stay out of trouble in school i would let him get certified. i know i should not try to bribe him but i don't feel it is a bribe if he earned it. all most every night we go out in the pool and practice on his skills. he can do his 200 yard swim, 5 minute tread, clear his mask, remove, replace, and clear mask, i even let use my gear to use in the pool (with me there).
what i can see is that he is very comfortable in and under the water.

my question is ; is this a good idea to let him dive or should i try to get him to wait. or should i take him to an instructor and let him do a discovery dive and let the instructor decide. i would appreciate you ownest oppinion.
Is the kid ready, old enough, mature enough, etc to take on diving - yes those are all valid things to ponder.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you away from it - but I'd like to add one more view for you to consider from another DiverDad - are YOU ready for your kid to start diving?

I can't speak for other parents, but I (like I see in you've listed in your profile) don't have many dives logged either. I do have a lot of "other" stress/emergency/hazardous situation/etc experience that helps make up for that some, but I still worry over my JOW & limit her diving quite a bit. If absolutely everything is not just right - vis, water temp, mindset, etc - she don't go.

You may find yourself surprised at how heavily the "what if's" will weigh upon your mind when your kid starts diving.

p.s. - it helps if you have your own pool (or one avail most any time) so you can go over, and over, and over, procedures, hand signals, equip malfunctions, etc with your new JOW - that's the main reason I bought our own tanks.

Last edited by texarkandy : 09-15-2007 at 12:22 AM.
texarkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #17
texarkandy
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
Sure would be nice to have a forum on here esp. dedicated to diving with kids/teens (hint, hint)
Old 09-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
Scubling
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I have to say that you should ABSOLUTLY enroll him in the diving classes. I was 10 years old a few months ago when I became certified. If he really wants to do it, give him a quick discovery dive (I did my first one at age 8 in Belize) to see how he reacts underwater. I feel so proud that I was able to pass the test and dive. I really enjoy the logs and things outside the dive too.

Recently, we went on 5 dives in the Florida Keys including diving with sharks. Cool!

As always, I'm looking for other young dive buddys in Michigan - Ann Arbor area!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
lucidblue
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Definitely doesn't sound like bribing to me. It sounds like if he successfully changes his behavior, he gets the reward of learning an activity (a $$ one at that) that he has expressed interest in.

When I took my OW there was a 10 yr old in the class. His dad was an avid diver and knew the instructors pretty well. It took him longer to get through everything, but he passed the class.

This is also a great way for you to bond with your son. I really believe diving can be a great bonding experience.

-
Jacques Yves Cousteau, 1971
lucidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #20
diverdad
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

thanks for all of your suggestions. I think i will take for a discover dive and if the instructor feels he is ready i'll enroll him in a class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubling View Post
I have to say that you should ABSOLUTLY enroll him in the diving classes. I was 10 years old a few months ago when I became certified. If he really wants to do it, give him a quick discovery dive (I did my first one at age 8 in Belize) to see how he reacts underwater. I feel so proud that I was able to pass the test and dive. I really enjoy the logs and things outside the dive too.

Recently, we went on 5 dives in the Florida Keys including diving with sharks. Cool!

As always, I'm looking for other young dive buddys in Michigan - Ann Arbor area!
Sorry SCUBLING we live in TEXAS. I grew up in the UPPER PENINSULA OF MICHIGAN if we ever get up that way we might be able to get you and my son together for a dive.

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Comments or Questions that don't fit above!