ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere! I think the title says it all!

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #41
DiverBry
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Sometimes we start a dive on one end of the lake, and finish it on the other end, and someone gets the idea to "just walk back!"

I often wished I had nitrox in the tank for the loooong walk back... might keep me from getting out of breath, LOL!
DiverBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #42
DZorn00
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspect View Post
Pure 02 can be very harmful and dangerous. It is considered a drug in the medical profession
I agree, i do believe that the O2 that you get at those oxygen bars is a tad bit different then what you get in your tank. It is a more pure O2. Because there is no change in BAR they can use a more pure form.
DZorn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #43
Charlotte Smith
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
Has anyone ever seen the oxygen enriched water they sell in health food stores? If you really wanted to "sip" a little.....this sounds like the way. It IS expensive though....
Charlotte Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #44
BoomerNJ
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I have actually tried that water & I swear it helped my hangover. Of course I have no way to back that up. It was probably just the fact that I drank 2 20oz bottles of it...
BoomerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #45
Charlotte Smith
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerNJ View Post
I have actually tried that water & I swear it helped my hangover. Of course I have no way to back that up. It was probably just the fact that I drank 2 20oz bottles of it...
Me too but not for a hang-over, I thought I might have more energy and it seemed that way but could've been all in my head. I hear that by the time the water reaches the shelves the O2 is gone. I have alo heard about O2 water fountains being great because the O2 doesn't go in until you get the drink......who can afford one though....
Old 09-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #46
Tableleg
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Eh, O2 water fountains sounds gimicky. The only thing that's ever worked for me for hangovers was either Pedialite, or Gatorade (the former working much better than the later)
Tableleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #47
CrzyJay456
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tableleg View Post
Eh, O2 water fountains sounds gimicky.
very gimmicky. do they actually sell things like that?
CrzyJay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #48
Charlotte Smith
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyJay456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tableleg View Post
Eh, O2 water fountains sounds gimicky.
very gimmicky. do they actually sell things like that?
hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #49
wgt
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Gimmicks and more gimmicks

At normal atmospheric pressure, almost 100% of your oxygen transporting sites are occupied by oxygen in your arteries. Thus, breathing from a nitrox bottle (or even a medical oxygen bottle) exerts little of any physiological impact in a healthy person, whether frankly fatigued or just looking for a lift in their living room or at a bar. It is only at significantly elevated pressures where the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood increases (gas becomes more soluble in liquid as pressure increases). At elevated pressures, we still transport the oxygen bound to hemoglobin on the red blood cells, but we also transport a load of oxygen in the liquid component of the blood. Thus, oxygen bars and oxygen-charged water = money thrown away.

Concerning risks of breathing oxygen: After breathing pure oxygen for 24 consecutive hours, cells of the body are expected to synthesize enough oxygen free radicals to decrease the vital capacity of the lungs by about 10% (this decrease in function meets the criterion for toxic effects of oxygen on the lungs). Partial pressures of oxygen of at least 0.50 ATA are required to produce toxic effects on the lungs. This is why many oxygen bars only vend 40% oxygen. Thus, the thing that makes their product safe, also makes it effectively inert. Many dive computers will track partial pressure of oxygen and time in order to reduce probabilities of toxic effects of oxygen on the lungs.

As for very high partial pressures of oxygen (i.e., > 2 ATA -- or pure oxygen being breathed at 10 m or 33 ft), toxic effects of oxygen on the nervous system can be expressed rapidly. These are the effects that are particularly dangerous for divers, who may have a seizure underwater and drown.

Enjoy your dives -- but I wouldn't worry about the oxygen-related gimmicks.

Last edited by wgt : 09-27-2007 at 04:40 PM.
wgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Community > Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!