ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIR & Tec Gear Techie stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
Splitlip
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Which brings up another point. Most conventional BC's have up to 3 (or even more) ponds of inherent buoyancy. Not only is it in the a bad place (for me), but it needs to be off set with weights.
The first BPW I put together was about 2 # negative and weighed under 6#. My BC at the time was about 2 # positive and weighed over 6#.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #22
Charlotte Smith
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
Comfort!!!!
Charlotte Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #23
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoop View Post
This is the stuff I'm looking for.... I've often wondered if my size (6'6''-260lb) places me at a disadvantage on weighting.... it seems my attitude in the water is more of a /
Odds are you're using a lot of weight on a belt, that normally will make you foot heavy and any amount of weight you can place over your back will make you come back to a neutral horizontal trim position.

It's something you have to play with. For me it varies slightly depending on whether I dive wet or dry, but not much.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 AM   #24
greyzen
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
So still kinda curious about the whole Ranger vs. BP/W
greyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #25
willardj
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyzen View Post
The biggest difference is that you can make the BP any way you want it. Change things that don't work. Instead of buying a new BC just replace a wing. The Ranger is take it as it is.
willardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #26
greyzen
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardj View Post
Quote:
The biggest difference is that you can make the BP any way you want it. Change things that don't work. Instead of buying a new BC just replace a wing. The Ranger is take it as it is.

Willard, thanks for the response... not to throw it back at you but...

Ranger has a replaceable bladder (which is similar to the wing yes/no?)
Ranger is back inflate same as the BP/W
Ranger has pockets (which most BP/W's add*)
Ranger has D-rings/etc. (which most BP/W's add*)
Ranger is assembled in several parts (For example, I'm center-heavy so I have a larger waist section than shoulders) same as BP/W

It just seems that a BP/W is for people who enjoy buying each individual section and portion of their rig (which is fine) and a Ranger/Brigade/etc. style BCD is kind of like getting a BP/W pre-configured. yes/no?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #27
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
Quote:
Ranger is assembled in several parts (For example, I'm center-heavy so I have a larger waist section than shoulders) same as BP/W

It just seems that a BP/W is for people who enjoy buying each individual section and portion of their rig (which is fine) and a Ranger/Brigade/etc. style BCD is kind of like getting a BP/W pre-configured. yes/no?
I agree with several of your points. Here's where we differ.

"Ranger has pockets (which most BP/W's add*)." With a BP/W you can have the pockets where you need them, and some are designed for a specific purpose. (The Dive Rite quick draw sleeve for a SMB). I like the pockets that strap to your leg. I think they are much easier to use than the pockets on a Ranger/Brigade, plus they hold more.

But the biggest difference IMHO was stated earlier by Splitlip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
Which brings up another point. Most conventional BC's have up to 3 (or even more) ponds of inherent buoyancy. Not only is it in the a bad place (for me), but it needs to be off set with weights.
The first BPW I put together was about 2 # negative and weighed under 6#. My BC at the time was about 2 # positive and weighed over 6#.
The Ranger/Brigade is very bouyant. Take it to a pool and see how much lead it takes to sink your Ranger/Brigade when ther is no air in the bladder.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Ranger/Brigade is a great BC. I used to have 1. I switched to a BP/W, then sold my Brigade about 6 months later because it was just gathering dust. But it really just comes down to personal prefference. I have a buddy who is an instructor, that didn't like the BP/W, and still dives his Ranger.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
willardj
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 23
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willardj View Post
Quote:

Willard, thanks for the response... not to throw it back at you but...

You can say that ,but for me I like plate, harness and wing nothing else. The simpler the better. If I need extra I carry it in a thigh pocket. That is just me.

It's been a long time sence I looked at a Rangers so I can't say about all the impovement's they have mad but I do no that they are quite expensive.. I have lil over $300 in my Rig. There is no way you will get a Ranger for that. I'm not saying anything bad about the Ranger its just I like my BP/W being I go back and forth between single's and double's it work's for me. Again it's just depend's on the type of diving you are going to do.
willardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #29
greyzen
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Alrighty, well firstly thanks for the positive responses guys.

I forgot to add on the * to be (from what I've been lead to understand ) but regardless, I appreciate the positive feedback.

I'm actually on my pilgrimage to the great Scubatoys this weekend and plan on harrassing the guys there about the BP/W and BC/etc. I'm extremly open-minded and want to try both on so wish them luck
Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #30
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Most of the divers I'm diving with don't add pockets to the wing, in fact I've never seen it except on boards like this where people say they've done it. I have pockets on my drysuit.

D rings are on any harness, they're cheap and useful. I don't think the D ring argument has any validity here. The BP/W usually has fewer rings on it however.

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear