ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIR & Tec Gear Techie stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
badfrog88
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Question Wrist vs. Console Computers

Why is it that the Technical/DIR divers favor the wrist mounted computer? Doesn't having a wrist mounted computer increase the risk of forgetting or losing it? With the console mount, it is attached to the same hose at the pressure gauge so it's less likely to get lost. A console doesn't seem to add that much bulk to increase the entanglement risk if properly clipped.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
dannybot
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I prefer the wrist mount because i can always find my hand, it's always attached to the end of my arm. It is also easier to view while ascending, since I would have to hold my console with the same hand as my inflator.
Also, it makes a back up with the console depth guage if you have one. And if I were to rent a reg, Icould still use my computer.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
It probably isn't a choice for the DIR guys. I won't speculate as to why.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog88 View Post
Why is it that the Technical/DIR divers favor the wrist mounted computer? Doesn't having a wrist mounted computer increase the risk of forgetting or losing it? With the console mount, it is attached to the same hose at the pressure gauge so it's less likely to get lost. A console doesn't seem to add that much bulk to increase the entanglement risk if properly clipped.
I don't remember GUE's official party line on this is but I will share why I like the computer (or bottom timer/depth gauge in my case) on my arm instead of on a console.

One of the reasons I like the GUE gear configuration is that equipment is nicely organized and stowed. Items that are not often used are put away. Examples include:
- Backup mask in the pocket
- Wet notes in a pocket
- Surface marker buoy and spool in a pocket
- Backup lights stowed cleanly on shoulder harnesses

I also have an SPG which I check every 10 minutes or so on deeper dives. Every 15 minutes or so on shallower dives. Usually, experienced divers know their SAC rate so they can guesstimate how much gas they have used simply by knowing how much time has elapsed since the beginning of the dive and also how much time has elapsed since the last time they checked how much gas they have. So while the SPG is a crucial piece of equipment, it is less frequently used than your bottom timer/computer.

The computer is something I suspect most divers pay a lot of attention to. It tells you the elapsed time of the dive and it tells you what your depth is. At a minimum. Some divers have super fancy computers that do all the thinking for them. Anyway, during descents, you spend a significant amount of energy paying attention to your computer. You use it in conjunction with your inflator/deflator mechanism to regulate your rate of descent. During your ascent, the computer is even more used as it is used again with the inflator/deflator to regulate your ascent rate. So long story short, one reason I like having the computer on my arm is that the computer is something that is used significantly (even compared against an SPG) during the dive, particularly during ascent and descent. It is far more efficient to have the computer easily accessible and not requiring deployment and stowage every time it is checked. Incidentally, under normal circumstances I check my gas once just before beginning the ascent and maybe once during the ascent. If that.

The second reason I like the computer on my wrist as opposed to a console is that a console requires you to use your hands to read. At least that is the case with the consoles I have seen. Again, one of the critical times when you pay close attention to your computer is during the ascent. Now, lets say that you are doing either a drifting ascent (not on the anchor line) or you are forced to ascend where there is some potential boat traffic. For safety reasons, you will want to deploy a surface marker buoy. Trying to deploy that SMB while you are holding your console is going to be tricky to say the least. Some folks may opt to stow the console while they deploy the SMB but then you lose the gauge that tells you a lot of critical information for your ascent. This problem continues to exist and get worse when your diving becomes more complex and require more equipment. Imagine for example that you are riding a scooter. You have a scooter in one hand and have your primary light in the other hand. How will you check to see what your depth is?

A wrist mounted computer allows you to both keep track of your depth/deco stop time and manage other important equipment (e.g. deploy your SMB) all at the same time.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by kobalap : 09-22-2007 at 11:49 PM.
kobalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
nathan
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
What I read was, DIR divers do not like the "BRICK" (a large "console") hanging down below them like you see most rec. divers.

Instead they prefer a very short hose (that reaches their waist) with a single plain pressure gauge. Plus a Depth & Bottom timer attached to their wrist.

I believe alot of it has to do with stream lining, and being able to have your hands free. Obviously if your depth and bottom time is on your wrist you can have something else in that hand! If you have 'the brink' then obviously you have to probably put it in your hand if you want to check it.

Plus by having it on your wrist you can almost constantly keep your eye on it without having to hardly move.

Anyways just some thoughts.

-Nathan
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
ianr33
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

If you can hold a reel in one hand,wind it in with your other hand and hold the console in your third hand you probably dont need to put your bottom timer on your wrist !!!!!

It is just easier to constantly check your depth when the gauge is on your wrist,especially when juggling reels,lift bags,stages and maybe scooters as well.You need to maintain depth within a foot or two while doing deco stops,with everything else going on unclipping a console would just be a hassle.

And FYI ,DIR divers aren't big on computers.

Last edited by ianr33 : 09-22-2007 at 11:35 PM.
ianr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
If you can hold a reel in one hand,wind it in with your other hand and hold the console in your third hand you probably dont need to put your bottom timer on your wrist !!!!!

It is just easier to constantly check your depth when the gauge is on your wrist,especially when juggling reels,lift bags,stages and maybe scooters as well.You need to maintain depth within a foot or two while doing deco stops,with everything else going on unclipping a console would just be a hassle.

And FYI ,DIR divers aren,t big on computers.
Sure they are. Every DIR diver I know has at least one desktop or laptop at home.

Seriously though, it is the deco portion of the computer that many find questionable. (And all the beeping can be pretty annoying too) Dive logging functions are plenty useful for any diver. Also, several of the DIR divers in my area are diving with Scubapro Tech 2G because it has depth averaging and timing in seconds.

Last edited by kobalap : 09-22-2007 at 11:43 PM.
kobalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
texdiveguy
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 91
It has nothing to do with the DIR flock....but all to do with what works in the world of technical diving and its gear.

Wrist computers are by far the way to go for many reasons.

Console units work fine for recreational diving.

I had switched to wrist mounted units prior to getting into recreational tech diving.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
thesmoothdome
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
I'm in the minority, but I'm too lazy to strap something to my wrist every dive. Having my comp. on a console just seems so much easier to me, and I never have to look for it. I know it's just on the end of my HP hose.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
ianr33
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
I'm in the minority, but I'm too lazy to strap something to my wrist every dive.
Thats why bungee cord exists. SO much easier than messing with straps.
ianr33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear