ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIR & Tec Gear Techie stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:38 AM   #11
badfrog88
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
So long story short, one reason I like having the computer on my arm is that the computer is something that is used significantly (even compared against an SPG) during the dive, particularly during ascent and descent. It is far more efficient to have the computer easily accessible and not requiring deployment and stowage every time it is checked.
Thanks! This is something I hadn't considered, as I'm still diving tables.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 AM   #12
badfrog88
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
I had switched to wrist mounted units prior to getting into recreational tech diving.
How do you define recreational tech diving? What is involved and how is it different from technical diving? I don't see myself getting into technical diving but recreational tech might be something I'd be interested in.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
texdiveguy
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog88 View Post
Quote:
I had switched to wrist mounted units prior to getting into recreational tech diving.
How do you define recreational tech diving? What is involved and how is it different from technical diving? I don't see myself getting into technical diving but recreational tech might be something I'd be interested in.
Its all the 'same'....we are all doing diving in the relem of recreation/sport,,,even when someone is conducting a technical dive---it is still for 'recreation-sport'...less you are in a commercial or military or scientific mode. Technical diving was a term coined by the recreational dive industry.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Quote:
My opinion only so take it for what it is worth..

To me, if we consider real overheads (cave, wreck and ice) as a separate animal altogether, there isn't really a clear line that separates "tech" diving and recreational diving. The diving itself simply progresses from low complexity requiring minimal equipment to high complexity requiring additional equipment and procedures.

As an example, you can do a dive to 100ft. My table says you can stay there for 30 minutes if on 32%. You can do the same dive with trimix (30/30). You can also do the same dive with doubles since it is really difficult to do a 30 minute dive at 100ft in singles. You can also bring a scooter. Adding equipment to help facilitate and enhance the dive doesn't make it a tech dive.

Others will say that a virtual overhead defines an open water dive as a tech dive. But the thing with deco is, it is not really clear when deco becomes mandatory as opposed to recommended. Does is start when you are one second over your MDL? Or does it start when you are 5 minutes over?

In any case, regardless of the type of dive you are doing, the primary question you wind up asking is, what training, equipment and experience are required to comfortably execute the dive? Some dives require training that found only in classes labeled "tech".
kobalap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
Bill22
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 24 Images
Send a message via Yahoo to Bill22
Just curious... I think I read somewhere that DIR likes to wear the computer on their right wrist? Why? I typically wear my computer on my left wrist and put my watch on my right wrist so I can have a backup for time. My console which I clip off has my SPG and a Depth Gauge along with my compass.

Just killing time during my surface interval;-)
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #16
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Would it be more like..not cave, cavern or wreck penetration diving. I've never heard of rec tec diving.

Right wrist for computer since the light goes on the left. There are reasons for that but I don't know them.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobalap View Post
So long story short, one reason I like having the computer on my arm is that the computer is something that is used significantly (even compared against an SPG) during the dive, particularly during ascent and descent. It is far more efficient to have the computer easily accessible and not requiring deployment and stowage every time it is checked.
Thanks! This is something I hadn't considered, as I'm still diving tables.
Personally, I prefer tables. My computer yells at me for the way I do my ascent since it doesn't give me credit for deep stops so I switched it to gauge mode.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
kobalap
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpntr133 View Post
Would it be more like..not cave, cavern or wreck penetration diving. I've never heard of rec tec diving.

Right wrist for computer since the light goes on the left. There are reasons for that but I don't know them.
The system needs to work in most environments you would dive in, including overheads. In an OOG emergency you donate your primary regulator to your buddy. When negotiating a restriction, you put the OOG diver ahead of the donating diver. In that restriction (or in any part of an overhead for that matter), it is possible to bump the ceiling. You do not want the valve the OOG diver is breathing from to roll off primarily because he has no way of communicating that the post has rolled off and is not delivering gas. For that reason, you want your long hose to be on the "roll on" post. That would be the right post. The way to route a long hose cleanly is down from the right post under your can light, back over your left shoulder, behind your neck and then feeding from the right shoulder to your mouth. The way that the hose is routed, you wind up donating the primary reg using your right hand.

From there, you are able to determine where the light goes - you do not want your light to be on your right hand since your right hand is what is used to donate the primary reg in an OOG emergency. Otherwise, you wind up blinding the OOG diver with your light. So light goes on the left hand.

Since you use your computer(bottom timer/depth gauge) frequently during the dive, you want it to be somewhere where you could shine your light on it pretty easily. That would be your right wrist.

Last edited by kobalap : 09-23-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #19
wxboy911
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
I prefer the wrist over the console because I have been out with a rented reg and still had my comp with me...I also wear it on my surface interval to go snorkeling. Its all a matter of personal preference I guess.

Over 1/2 way to $50!
wxboy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #20
jo8243
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 128
I like the wrist-mount better b/c it is easier to get to. Yeah grabbing a console it's that "hard" but your wrist is easier to see. Also, I mount my wrist-mount computer on my scooter when I'm using the scooter. Can't do that with a console.
jo8243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > DIR & Tec Gear