ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Techies - DIR - Cave - etc.
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Techies - DIR - Cave - etc. And other advanced topics of speciality diving.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
fire diver
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
My Photos: 22 Images
Someone help me, this could be expensive..

I just got back from my Caribbean cruise. The last port of call was on Coz. What did I do? I went and booked a cenote dive over on the mainland.

So I need advice here. How do I erase the memories of the beautiful jungle surrounding the cenote? Or the memory of the almost air-clear water? How do I clear the images of stalagtites frozen in time from my head?

Becuase If I can't accomplish those things, I'm in trouble. I trully LOVED cavern diving. It was awesome. It didn't feel like diving. It felt like floating through air in a cave. I once again felt that rush that I was experiencing something so few other people would ever experience.

So is there a cure for this? Or am I doomed to follow the path to full cave certification?

FD
fire diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
ianr33
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Sounds to me like you are doomed. Welcome !
ianr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
ScubaToys Larry
Grand Poobah
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
I don't believe you are doomed for full cave... I believe you are doomed to more trips to the Cenotes. There is a pretty big difference between swimming in crystal clear water through a huge cenote and going into a normally - much smaller cave. Maybe you'll want to do that - but for me - I'll dive something like the cenotes, but I still don't have a desire to do caves.

But yes... your credit card statements may show a lot more Cozumel trips in the near future!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
fire diver
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
... I believe you are doomed to more trips to the Cenotes.

But yes... your credit card statements may show a lot more Cozumel trips in the near future!
Yeah, I'm thinking at least a week at a time. Fly down. Wife can shop while I dive. The cenotes are incredible.

But I love feeling of exploration. I used to say I would never want to cave dive. Now I can see myself squeezing through restrictions to visit new worlds.

PS- we drove right past ScubaToys driving down and back from Galveston. I wished I could have stopped, but time wouldn't allow (plus you're not open on Sundays). I did yell "Look! Look! Crosby road! ScubaToys is coming up! THERE! THERE IT IS!" My wife just rolled her eyes.

FD
Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
scubasavvy
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 2
Oh for goodness sake, doomed is such a harsh word when talking about scuba. But yes, you're now required to take the cave diving specialty, lol.
scubasavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
in_cavediver
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Cave diving is like drugs. Once you try it, you may get hooked and its darned hard to quit.

Your only hope is a wallet that can't sustain cave diving. I mean look at doubles, dry suit, two regs, hid light, o2 bottles, reels, training, more regs, multigas computer, more reels, more tanks, more tec training, new drysuit, new primary light, scooters, rebreathers, more regs, helium.... It just never ends.

It just adds up so fast! Its even worse when your WIFE is a cave diver too! Then its wow, look at my new reg isn't great! Yeah honey, its soo thoughtful to buy me a new reg! Its not one or two of everything its one or two for each of everything.

In all seriousness, whether its cavern or full cave - welcome to the darkside. Get the training and have fun!
in_cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
ScaredSilly
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Yeah, it does get expensive when the wife gets involved. She just got a set doubles and backplate this summer, HID light and reel for her birthday, and will be getting a dry suit for xmas. Me I just got a HID for my birthday.

BTW you do not have to travel to Mexico for caverns there are quite a few in Florida and there are lots of good instructors for cavern training.

Last edited by ScaredSilly : 09-24-2007 at 06:54 PM.
ScaredSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
PS- we drove right past ScubaToys driving down and back from Galveston. I wished I could have stopped, but time wouldn't allow (plus you're not open on Sundays). I did yell "Look! Look! Crosby road! ScubaToys is coming up! THERE! THERE IT IS!" My wife just rolled her eyes.

FD
I know the "Eye Roll" well. My wife still can't believe I get such a kick out of diving.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Wouldn't just cavern certs be an option? I know somebody teaches just cavern without cave.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
fire diver
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Sure you can do cavern without going further. But why? That's like taking OW and never taking AOW, Nitrox, Adv Nitrox, Deco, cavern, intro to cave and full cave.

FD

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Techies - DIR - Cave - etc.