ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets Call them what you will... the floatie things we wear.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
ravenfish
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Stuffing the BC with weights or use a weight belt?

I have a weight integrated BC.
When I dive in the quarry I find myself loading the BC with weights, near 30lbs. Should I consider using my weight belt to carry some of the load.
If yes, do I place the weight behind me since the intergrated weights are in front?
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Buoyant1
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
I'd consider using a steel tank first...that will take some of the burden off your BC pockets ....usually your BC has a limit to how mush you should use in it..I think I can safely put 10 in each dump pocket, and 5 in each non-dump pocket (which make the limit 30lbs...)

Haven't needed more than that yet...
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
mm_dm
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
A steel tank would help. If that's not an option I would move some of the weight to a belt. Don't leave anymore in your BC than you can swim to the surface with if you had to dump the belt. I believe the normal ratio is 70/30 with the 70% going in front. Do you have trim pockets (in back) on your BC? And I'm guessing you're diving some kind of 7 mil arrangement with a aluminum tank to be packing that kind of lead.

Another nice option is the DUI weight harness, I think ST has it on their site. It helps transfer the bearing part of the weight to your shoulders and off your lower back. I have a friend who had back surgery and he can't dive comfortably without the harness.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Kingpatzer
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

When I do dry suit I need about 34# to get down. I put 20# on my BC, 10 on my belt, and 4 is around my ankles.
Kingpatzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
ravenfish
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I am wearing a 6.5 FJ, Hood, Gloves and Boots; the works. Rental Alum 80 on my back and 30lbs of lead. I will move 10lbs onto a belt, 14lbs in QLR pouches and 6lbs in the rear trim pockets.

Last edited by ravenfish : 09-26-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
mm_dm
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Sounds like a plan. If you get time, post us how that works out. I don't usually put more than about 6 lbs in the rear trim pockets or it tends to pull me that way if I turn on my side to look at something.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
ccarter
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
My Photos: 3 Images
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
I would try and jump to a steel tank.. if not.. I might move some to a belt.. I've never used anywhere close to that weight though. Warm water yay!
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
ravenfish
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I will be at the quarry this weekend to try out my genius plan.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
mm_dm
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter View Post
I would try and jump to a steel tank.. if not.. I might move some to a belt.. I've never used anywhere close to that weight though. Warm water yay!

Can't beat that quarry diving for warm water and great viz!

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets