ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > General Scuba Training Questions
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Scuba Training Questions Can't figure where to post... try here.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
rfreddo
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Octo-Inflators

I like the idea of combining two hoses, and understand the advantages and disadvantages and arguments on both sides. I'm OW now and will be pursuing advanced ratings. Would lack of a separate octo be a problem in advanced classes? In other words, is the separate octo like the snorkel in that you have to have one for class, but it's optional in the "real" world?

Thank you!
rfreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
wxboy911
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I don't think so-the only difference is that if your buddy needs air you pass your primary reg and use the Octo Inflator.

Over 1/2 way to $50!
wxboy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
tbuckalew
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Integrated Inflator hoses

It really comes down to safety and preference. Safety says you always have a buddy and always have a way for your buddy to share your air in case of out-of-air emegencies (including reg failure).

An integrated inflator does let you dive with one less hose - you simply use it as your primary and pass your primary on to your buddy in the event of an OOA situation.

Plusses - one less hose, less to dangle on the reef, more compact profile underwater

Minuses - lose your inflator hose and you lose two items (not just one), a bit more complex in the equipment - meaning one more thing that can possibly break, unless you replace your primary hose with a longer one, your buddy will be breathing on your hose - not as much room to maneuver around while buddy breathing

The minuses are just more wordy than the plusses. It really comes down to personal preference when it comes to a traditional octo or an integrated octo. As to whether or not to dive with on - I always do (and still use my snorkel by the way - nothing like a little chop on the surface waiting to get on the boat).
tbuckalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Charlotte Smith
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
I just bought the Zeagle Oct/inflator and my purpose was just to be more streamlined in the water and with it being a Zeagle I have PLENTY of confidence in my equiptment and if my Buddy's out of air...I want them close anyway.....
Charlotte Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
rfreddo
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Thanks for the quick replies. Like I said, I've considered the pros and cons, and appreciate the additional insight each of you have added.

At this point I've made up my mind to go with the combo IF I won't have to rent an octo for training purposes. Any definitive word on requirements for training?

Thanks again!

rfreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Capt Hook
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My wife has been using A Sherwood Shadow + for 9 years and loves it. I, on the other hand, think it breathes a bit too wet.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
CC1020
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 14
The concept of streamlining looks great on paper, but you might want to try before you buy. Practice doing some actual air-sharing ascents with the Air2... venting your BC on ascent while breathing off of the same item that you are using to vent can prove pretty challenging. You may like it fine, but it's not as easy as it might seem. Just a thought
CC1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
ScubaToys Larry
Grand Poobah
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
Here's the training angle...

No problem... All that is required according to any of the recreational training agencies is an alternate air source... and that is.

Now that being said, there are some folks that don't like them... and if you run into an instructor or shop like that - they may say that you can't use it... but with us, or according to the rules of the training agencies - octo inflators are fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
in_cavediver
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
All I want to add to those who use them or want them. Please try doing an air share ascent with one. I have seen three students do this in an advanced class and every one of them was fumbling looking for the inflater (which was in thier mouth).

There is nothing inherenetly wrong with this equipment, you just need to practice the required skills for 'muscle memory' that way, if its for real, you don't go fumbling in the wrong place for your inflater.
in_cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
mulefeathers
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

The only thing I can add to this is that I added the Scubapro air 2 and have really enjoyed it. It was a little bit getting use to but overall good choice. I also went with the VT3 Hose-less computer. Being down to two hoses was one of the best moves I made.
mulefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > General Scuba Training Questions